Recently I spent a weekend with some of the most rad people ever- Scuba Club- on Catalina Island.
I’ve already shared with you pictures from catalina island, but i’ve yet to divulge all of the secret (and not so secret) must-do activities while visiting Avalon, Catalina.
Before I do, here’s how you get to the island: pick a date and reserve a spot on the Catalina Express either out of Long Beach or San Pedro. Then mark your calendar and get REALLY excited. In between that and boarding the ferry, take a motion sickness pill- just in case.
If you’re planning on staying more than a day-trip’s worth, I recommend hotel La Paloma Las Flores. Quaint, relatively inexpensive, and located in the heart of Avalon. Or skip the hotel and get a spot at the campgrounds!
For divers, there is a tank fill truck right at the dive park- Catalina Divers. There is also ScubaLuv in Avalon. Both charge $7 per tank fill.
So, now that you’re on the island, here’s a list you can start experiencing for yourself.
1. hike to Wrigley Memorial- $0
2. find the pet cemetery- $0
3. dive the dive park- and while you’re there, find the Jacques Cousteau and memorial plaques and the sunken glass-bottom boat – $7 tank fill
4. get Big-Olaf’s ice-cream. – $4
5. freedive/ snorkel Lover’s Cove – $0 (if you bring your own mask, snorkel and fins. Otherwise you can rent them right at Lover’s)
6. go on a night dive at the dive park and shut off your dive light for a minute at the bottom to see the bioluminescence -$ 7 tank fill
7. search for buffalo – $0
8. rent a tandem bike with a friend and cruise around town for an hour – $10
9. scuba at Descanso Beach – $7 tank fill
10. go to VONS, get some fixings and have a picnic on the beach – price depends on how hungry you are!
11. go inner-tubing at Descanso – $5/ hr.
12. rent some kind of boat, kayak, or paddleboard and ride around the harbor
13. dive the Valiant, just outside the dive park (get permission from harbormaster first!)- $ 7 tank fill
14. look in the harbor waters for Julia Roberts’ wedding ring
15. get Big Olaf’s again…seriously, do it. – $4